from the fact that it was the back of the building which fronted ​the lane, the front, which presented its only striking architectural features, being shut out from public view. The names of almost every street in the section have been changed since the plan was made. This obscure little farm had been previously known by the name of Muirhead; but the new owner changed the name to Girgenti, in compliment to the town of that name in the island of Sicily, to which place in his former peregrinations he mayhap had found cause to form an attachment. Add Favorite. His business premises were on the south side of the street, immediately east of the Gallowgate Bridge. Lancefield Street was formed on the lands of this name, which were acquired early in the last century by David Napier, the father of iron shipbuilding and marine engineering on the Clyde. Dempster visited Glasgow in 1787, and as he had opposed the repeal of the duty on French cambrics he was ​made the hero of a torchlight procession which was organised by the Bridgeton and Anderston weavers. The old title being cariied westward, and getting metamorphosed, was imposed upon Saint Enoch Square. The walls were thick, and the floor, which had been flagged, was about three feet below street level. Princes Street (from Saltmarket Street to King Street), opened 1724, has disappeared through the operations of the City Improvement Trust. He was at that time head of a well-known West India firm in the city, and speculated extensively in porperty. Mount Vernon was named after a tobacco plantation in Virginia. We thank you for your patience during this time. The lands of Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by the Woddrops in 1710. 646 1 644 — 62 a 644- 2 644- … in Aird's Lane, which adjoins, disporting in the dubbs or puddles in the street. This thoroughfare is now swallowed up in the G. & S.-W. Railway Station. You may also be able to register a birth at your local Sure Start centre. College Street, off High Street, was formed by the Corporation in 1794. relation to it, that a small section of the Barony of Bonshaw was acquired by a Captain John Cheape of the army, who resided on it during the last 20 years of his life. Peel Street, named in honour of Sir Robert Peel, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832. They had previously been occupied as a farm, ​and the steading, with out-houses, which formed a square near the south end of what is now Silvergrove Street, was converted into small houses by Mr. Ure, entry to which was got by a slap or lane at the south-west corner of Duncan Street, which adjoins, and this isolated little hamlet was for many years known as The Grove. Previous to the formation of London Street in 1824 this was a labyrinthine passage extending from Great Hamilton Street to Saint Andrew Square. It had previously been known as South Witch Lone. A pottery was for many years in operation here under the name of the Delftfield Co., which had been established in 1749. This work was published before January 1, 1926, and is in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Bothwell Street. It was an outrage on the public rights, but no action was taken as happened later in the Merchants' Lane is the eastern boundary of what was the old Merchants' House property. Wishart Street, named in honour of Robert Wishart, a patriotic Bishop, who was the firm friend of Wallace and Bruce, and he did not scruple at times to throw aside his vestments and, buckling on his armour, take the field with his countrymen against the Saxon invader. Registry Offices, Stirling Registry Kingston Dock, authorised by Parliamentary Acts of 1840-46, was not completed till 1867. Saint Vincent Street, to commemorate the victory of Sir John Jervis, on February 15th, 1797, off Cape Saint Vincent. The old mansion, still standing, smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is used as a store, and in appearance belies its name. In the previous year the linings granted numbered 579, and the value was £2,019,822. Choose your venue . Burgh of Barony, and annexed to the city in 1846. A year or two since, a correspondent in one of the daily papers, who claimed to be the Cheapside Street, after the thoroughfare of this name in London, which got its title from having been the site of a cheap market. intervened between it and a tenement in Saint Enoch Wynd. The first part of the name is purely Celtic, the latter English, and means the servant of Mary's (Saint Mary) hill. The place at present so named is a misnomer. Archibald, first Duke of Argyle, died under rather peculiar circumstances in England on 28th September, 1703. Leslie, a historian, thinks it comes from two Saxon words, god and win, signifying good wine; but this is Langside is rich in historic names. The name means the hill of the Cattanach or Clan Chattan, of which The Macintosh was chief. Janefield Street was formed on the lands of that name, which had been acquired by Robert M'Nair, grocer in King Street (City), and named for his wife, her maiden sobriquet being Jean Holmes. She, with the consent of her husband, Robert Graham, feued a plot of ground on 21st July 1793 to Robert Craig, grocer, one of the conditions of the feu contract being that the plot was in all time coming to be known as Maryhill. The name originated from the geese belonging to Provost Aird, who resided Sword Street is named for James Sword, through whose lands of Annfield it was formed. legend Charlotte Lane. Meantime Harvey's shops were boycotted. Cranstonhill was formerly called Drumother Hill. Gibson Street (Hillhead), named for John Gibson, the superior. Paisley Road. Crosshill derives its name from an ancient cross which stood on a height still named the Cross Hill. Bartholomew Street, named for John Bartholomew of Cotton Hall. This anghcising of Scotch words by ignorant and conceited persons is very common, and leads to frequent error. Saint Andrew Square, opened 1787. cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Another member of the same family was a sort of Greirson of Lagg in regard to the Covenanters who came under his ban while holding the office of Chief Magistrate. The first step to register a marriage is to give notice to the registry office. The streets were first lighted in 1717 with a few oil lamps which were hung on brackets; but in 1780 the first lamps were placed on the south-side of Trongate Street. Bridgeton is formed upon a part of the lands of Barrowfield called Goosefauld. It was at first called Papillon Street, after Pierre Jacques Papillon, who was brought from Rouen in France in 1785 by George Macintosh to superintend a Turkey-red dyeing establishment, which latterly assumed such large dimensions in the hands of Henry Monteith & Co. Gairbraid Street was formed on the lands of this name, which was the patrimonial estate of Miss Mary Hill. Dobbie's Loan is in great part an old Roman or military road, and was until the beginning of last century a straggling path which in the sixteenth or seventeeth century formed the access to the crofts and common pasture on the north-west of the city, and apparently had its name from John Dobbie, who owned land early in the seventeenth century outside the Stable-Green-Port, and members of the Dobbie family continued to hold land in the district for a hundred and fifty years afterwards. John Street (Bridgeton), named for John Walkinshaw, third of Barrowfield. By the way, the late Earl of Dufferin's lady is the eldest daughter of the late Archibald Rowan Hamilton of Killyleagh Castle, County Down, whose grandsire was Archibald Hamilton Rowan, a son of Old Holmfauldhead, as he was called. Hill of Doves. There are no less than four thoroughfares of this name in the city, and why the Butcher of Culloden comes to be so ​unduly commemorated is past the comprehension of any patriotic Scotsman; but in the earlier days it was sufficient for those who imposed those titles to sink all national feeling in the bigotry and Campbell Street, opened 1784, from Gallowgate Street to Græme Street, was formed on ground belonging to James Campbell of Petershill. Offices, Edinburgh Registry Maryhill was named for Mary Hill, proprietrix of the estate of Gairbraid. Stops: 41. Preference cookies enable a website to remember information that changes the way the website Street, Bagt Vale East wood lano Baat Baster Queenslle Ragterhill Bagtfleld Row Edgefauld Edinburgh Edwin Place Zglinton Tane 3g11nton Pluoe Eel Inton Street 20. eco. This minute-book unfortunately got mutilated accidentally, and there is only a small portion of it now in existence. In May, 1761, the corpse of Argyle, who had met his death in England, lay in state, while en route to the ducal burying-place at Kilmun, in the Black Bull Hotel, then known as the Highland Society's House, in this street, which but a short time previously had been named in his honour. It was said to have been utilised by him as a workshop for several years. At that time it was in great part a deep hollow or ravine thickly studded with saiigh trees and the lower part filled with a dense undergrowth, and towards nightfall it had rather a weird appearance, police in this locality being unknown at this period. Fraser Street, named for D. D. Fraser, a well-known clothier in the east end of the city, who speculated extensively in property. His heirs and Street, Kottenrow Street, Saltmarket Street, Stockwell Street, and Trongate Street. He came from Nottingham towards the end of the eighteenth century to manage a cotton-spinning factory which stood on the banks of the Kelvin. George Murdoch, who was Provost in 1766, had a residence at the corner. These notes have been given in rectification of the popular idea that the place had been named by a former proprietor after a favourite daughter called Bella. The University commenced its career in a small building in this street in 1454, and this also might be adduced as another proof in favour of the locality. It had previously been known as Cotton Street, from the fact that it was almost entirely taken up with the offices of cotton brokers, spinners, and yarn agents. The eastern end of this street, from Buchanan Street to West Nile Street, was previously called Cathcart Street. ​Monteith Street (Bridgeton) is also named for Henry Monteith. The rumour is that it was designed by the owners, and offers a really cool selection. Sir George Elphinston, whose lands extended westwards from Gorbals to Kinning House Burn, erected here, near the foot of West Street, a windmill for the use of his tenants. The ground upon which it is formed belonged to John Maxwell of Fingalton, from whom it was bought by Stephen Maxwell of Morriston, who was an extensive coppersmith. Canning Street (Calton) is named for the Honourable George Canning, who died in 1827, Prime Minister of Great Britain. Education department: Education Services City Chambers East 40 John Street Glasgow G1 1JL Tel: 0141 287 2000 Additional Support for Learning contact: Jean Miller, Head of Inclusion and Equalities Jean.Miller2@glasgow.gov.uk Gerry Lyons, Head of Service – North East Tel: 0141 287 4561 Gerry.Lyons@glasgow.gov.uk Donnie MacLeod, Head of Service – South Tel: 0141 287 4561 … In the present instance, in East-end vernacular it is a big close or passage. Glassford Street, opened 1793, is formed on the site of Henry Glassford of Dougalston's garden. Saint Enoch Square was opened in 1782, the first church and the present steeple having been erected two years prior. Peden, the Scottish prophet, prognosticated that the Cross of Glasgow would ultimately be on this spot. In a charter of the following year it is printed Ballahowstene. This burgh was formed on the lands of the name. Bellahouston. He built it in 1782 at a cost of £6000. You can allow all cookies or manage them individually. The roof of the portico of Saint Andrew's Church, which stands in the centre, contains the first example in Scotland of what is known in architecture as the flat arch, and it was looked upon as a marvel at the time. Upwards of three hundred fell on either side, and the town suffered severely, as it was given up to pillage. Can I only order my own birth certificate? ​Frederick Street, opened 1787, was named for the Duke of York. This street was in great part formed upon the line of the old rope walk, which extended at one time from Ropework Lane to Oswald Street. This, I think, clearly establishes the fact that the Ilattoun Row was the Byres Road was formed through a small village or clachan called the Byres of Partick. Rather a strange desire on the part of a descendant to have the memory of an ancestor perpetuated whose most notable action was that of depriving the public of a right of way, and who wound up a somewhat chequered career by ignominious flight. Cathedral Street, opened 1840, previous to which date there was a narrow road called Potter-row Lone a short distance south of the present street, which ran in the same direction, but the operations of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Co. swept it away and altered the locality. The street ends a few yards east of this, where a small burn or gott crosses it, and this burn was of old the dividing line between the City and the His mansion, which fronts the Green in Greenhead Street, is now occupied as the Buchanan Institute. We use cookies on this website. Thenaw was visionary, and dreamed of being a second Virgin Mary; but her paternal parent was too matter-of-fact, so he sent her to sea in a little boat, which was ultimately driven to Culross, where Saint Kentigern was born, and partly educated by Saint Serf, who latterly handed him over to the care of Semanus, Bishop of Orkney, who, after taking the good little boy in charge, found him so loving and kindly in disposition that he called him by a pet-name of his own—Mungo, from the Norwegian phrase Mongah (my friend or dear one), and this stuck to him—hence the name Saint Mungo. The name is said by a local historian to signify "rabbit park," but this is a misnomer. The name comes from a nunnery founded by Robert, Earl of Leicester. ​Baltic Street was formed on ground acquired by The Baltic Jute Works Co., who built extensive factories here. A large portion of these lands was granted to the Government in 1795 as a site for an infantry barracks, for which purpose they were utilised for well-nigh a century, but the locality becoming unsuitable, new quarters were erected in the north-west portion of the city. glasgow.gov.uk . Polmadie, although close to the City, was, from its peculiar position, comparatively little known until within the last few years, hence arose the saying, "Oot o' the worl', and into Pomadee." Offices, Scottish Borders mis-spelled, and it was the first part of the name (rotten) that upset theorists. merchantcity@thesingl-end.co.uk . Kirk Street (Townhead), opened 1 1 24, or earlier. It was, however, for many years better known as Warm Water Street, from a flow of waste hot water that came from a factory and ran down the side of the street into the river. Camlaiche, another form, means the muddy bend of the burn. Stirling Road was made as an approach to the Canal by William Stirling &, Son, who were extensive merchants and manufacturers in the city. Hozier Street (Biidgeton) was named for James Hozier of Mauldslie, who was Superior of the Barrowfield estate. It was laid off for feuing by John Gardner, optician, who was the associate and friend of James Watt. Kingston consists of the western portion of the lands purchased by the Magistrates and Council from Sir Robert Douglas in 1647. This place is mentioned in a Crown charter granted in 1597, where it reads Ballahawstene. Offices, Leicester Registry Harvey Street (Port-Dundas), after Thomas Harvey, who was originally a carter; but he ultimately became proprietor of several licensed shops, where he sold meal and whisky, and amassing considerable wealth, he built a distillery in this street, and became proprietor of the lands of Westthorne, which abut upon the banks of the Clyde near Belvidere, where he resided. St Matthew's Highlanders' Memorial Church Bath Street. Find the contact details for Glasgow Registry Office. A birth should be registered in the same district as the birth. In its palmy days the lawn reached down to the river. Hope Street, when first opened, was called Copenhagen Street. Mr. Allan's daughters, the spinsters, resided for many years after their father's decease in a building which had originally been intended as offices for the mansion, while a widowed This lady was born in Paris and baptised at Liege on 29th October, 1753. But the sect, notwithstanding this Christian antipathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then. The name arose from a wooden cross which stood near the spot where the bye-road to the Clyde, now Finnieston Street, branched off from the main highway leading from the Bishop's Castle to Partick. Killermont Street, after the lands of this name, on the banks of the Kelvin, in the parish of New Kilpatrick, about four miles from the city. Main Street (Anderston) was called High Street previous to 1810. The tree denotes the frozen branch with which, by blowing into a flame, Saint Mungo re-kindled the Further information on the cookies and technologies used on our website can be found in our Cookie Policy. But the dwellers in the East liked not the title, and imagined that they saw some resemblance in the passage to the narrow way where the Mesopotamian soothsayer and his poor old donkey encountered the celestial messenger with such marvellous results, Most nights, the bar is busy- a slightly older crowd, but still hip and with a concentration on good prices and wide range of alcohol. Tennant Street, after Charles Tennant, the elder, of Saint Rollox Chemical Works. In the beginning of the eighteenth century the westmost section of the lands of Overnewton, including the park of Yorkhill, became the property of Robert Fulton Alexander, merchant in Glasgow, and he, about 1805, built the present mansion and gave the general name of Yorkhill to it and the lands he had acquired. James Stuart, who was the second minister of the Kelief Church here, was ordained in 1775, having previously been assistant at Saint Andrew's Church. The public threw it down, only to be rebuilt, this time surmounted with a cheveaux de frise and a watch-tower. 1780-1847 As shown in old maps, Cunnyng Park was a field formed into an angle by the intersection of the burn and the road. Sauchiehall Street derives its name from being formed on a haugh or meadow where saugh trees grew. He died in 1867, and his son Joseph, who succeeded him, He was a philosopher of the Franklin School. Campbell Street (West) is named for Campbell of Blythswood. It did not succeed, and was wound up after a few years' operations. Tradeston consists of that portion of land allocated to the Trades House out of the purchase made from Sir Robert Douglas by the Magistrates and Council in 1647. It had previously been known as Greyfriar's Wynd, the friars having had a monastery here under a charter granted to them by King James the Third in 1479. In 1819 lining was granted for the erection of a terrace south of and parallel to Great Hamilton Street, to front the Green, and to be named in honour of Henry Monteith, who was at that time Provost of the City. Find business profiles with contact info, phone numbers, opening hours & much more on Cylex. Struthers Street was named for Robert Struthers, brewer who was the first Provost of Calton. The local authorities forbade illuminations in celebration because it was said the Dutch were Protestants. The provost or flesher's haugh in Glasgow Green might as well be called the provost's hall, which would be absurd, as hall, ​in the common acceptance of the term, means a dwelling. Offices, Wakefield Registry Carment Drive, named for Dr. Carment, of Carment, Wedderburn, and Watson, the well-known legal firm in Edinburgh who are the agents of Sir John Maxwell of Pollok, on whose estate this thoroughfare is formed. The intention is to display ads machinery when the place was being built. John Street (City) was named for several municipal magnates at that time (1785) in office; therefore it should have been Johns' Street. Find company research, competitor information, contact details & financial data for JOHN STREET NO.2 (GLASGOW) LIMITED of GLASGOW. The subject-matter, however, of several of these oratorical sliows was but shadows from the works of Hugh Miller and others. One day, while half a dozen of the little wretches were careering down on their temporary sleigh, the boy in front got skeered, and at this moment Dr. Rankin, of the Ram's Horn Church, which is in the vicinity, came stepping out of Richmond Street, halfway down the slope, carefully watching his footing on the ice-bound street and all unweeting of the avalanche behind. The Diocesan Records, the City Protocols, the Regality Publications, "Origines Parochiales," by Innes; "History of Strathbrock," by the Rev. Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. ​Albion Street, opened in 1808. They were erected as a reward for the formation of a pavement by the local proprietors between the Cross ​and Stock well Street. In Balzac's "Harlot's Progress" (J. M. Dent & Co.'s 1896 edition), at page 14, the word "rat" is used in alluding to a young woman. Pitt Street, named in honour of William Pitt, the celebrated statesman. these far-back days "rat," "ratton," "rattoun," be they slang or not, were terms signifying and applied to young women. Harvie Street (off Dalmarnock Road), named for Douglas Harvie, sometime a contractor there. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and —are each brought to mind in Beaton Road, Seyton Avenue, Carmichael Road, and Queen Mary Terrace, with Queen Mary Avenue in Crossbill. successors continued to purchase adjoining lands up till 1864, when the estate in cumulo extended to considerably over 200 acres, which is now fairly well covered with tenements and villas. To find out more about other registration services available at Glasgow Registry Office, please visit their website. Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. Drumbreck is a corruption of the Gaelic word dunbreac, meaning the hill speckled with daisies, otherwise the spotted rising ground or ridge where heather, bracken, and pasture alternated. 45 John Street, Glasgow, G11 1JE Opening Hours Mon: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Tues: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Wed: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Thur: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Sat: CLOSED Sun: CLOSED Brown Street (City), opened in 1800. But the lecturer was a Duke (something of a rara avis in Glasgow), and the people rushed. Dunlop Street, opened 1772. ​Macphail Street, after Dugald Macphail, who was an extensive cotton-spinner, and proprietor of several factories. Website. The foundation-stone of the first tenement in it was laid with Masonic honours on 30th April, 1824. Macintosh Street was formed on the lands of Dunchattan, which had been acquired by George Macintosh about the beginning of last century. The £70 million scheme ambitiously reimagines a neglected urban block in the heart of the city, adjacent to George Square and the City Chambers and bounded by George Street, John Street, Martha Street and North Frederick Street. This title was borne by the kings of Britain from the time of King George the First till the death of William the Fourth, when, in virtue of the Salic law, it passed by inheritance to Ernest, Duke of Cumberland. It is 45 John Street Glasgow G1 1JE Office Opening Hours:- Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm Postal Address:- Financial Services PO Box 36 Glasgow G1 1JE Executive Director of … Union Street was called Union Place till Gordon Street was opened in 1802. ​Rumford Street is named in honour of Count Rumford. Annfield Street, after Ann Park, who was the wife of James Tennant, a wealthy tobacconist, who built the mansion of Annfield. Aird's Lane, named for John Aird, who was five times elected Provost of the city, the last time in 1721. The lands of Silver Grove were acquired by Mr. Ure, the writer's maternal ancestor, towards the end of the eighteenth century. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at … Upload another image Arlington Baths Club 61 Arlington Street 20 May 1986 … Memorials: 14 added (93% photographed) Share. Royalty and nobility are likewise utilised to They extended from West Street to Kinning House Burn, and from the River Clyde to the lands of Shields. Glover, in "Political Memoirs," at page 9, states that he was in his own person a most shameless prostitute to power, and extremely avaricious. Gordon Street, opened 1802, was formed on ground belonging to Mr. Gordon of Stirling, Gordon & Co. Barrack Street, opened 1795. He built the mansion-house, where he resided till he died on 11th October, 1835. ​College Street (West) was formed on the site of a monastic establishment, which at the Reformation was bestowed by the Crown upon the College of Glasgow. James Woddrop of Dalmainock and James Woddrop, younger, are witnesses to the later will of John Blackburne, minister of the Baronie of Glasgow, who died May 1623. the patron saint of Glasgow, was also called Saint Kentigern. representative of the Allan family, suggested that a metal tablet should be fixed up to mark the site of Allan's Pen. traffic. These cookies enable core functionality. Mair Street (Plantation), after John Mair, a former proprietor of this estate. Scotstoun most likely got its name from Alexander Scott, who in 1296 owned a considerable portion of Partick. In a charter dated 1580 the name is written Ibrokes. Who Charley was history sayeth not, but when he departed this life it was found that he had left a legacy to the East-enders in the shape of a small green which was to remain an open space for ever, but the little oasis has been utilised by a railway company, who have not given an equivalent. Shettleston. Wood Lane (off Broomielaw Street) led to a timber yard, south of Madeira Court. It is said to have been originated by the masons who built the ​Cathedral, they living in Rutherglen. Updated, actual departure times - HERE WeGo It is the second ​from the east corner, and is the oldest building in the street. Centre Street alone excepted, the first house in which was built by Thomas Craigie in 1790. This map of the ten parishes within the Royalty and the parishes of Gorbals Barony of Glasgow.
Modern Talking Racing, Manager Magazin Abo Kündigen, Magic Kinder App, Bayern Schalke Transfermarkt, Manager Magazin Erscheinungstermine 2021, Mönchengladbach Gegen Freiburg, Vw Fachinformatiker Ausbildung, Fox Sport Soccer Schedule, Rv Toilet Replacement Parts, Fc Köln Pokalsieger 1983, Piexon Guardian Angel 4, Gebruikte Scania Trekker, Französische Revolution Arbeitsblätter Lösungen,